Welcome to Ask-A-Scientist!
Over the years our scientists have answered over 1000 questions!
- Browse the questions and answers by clicking on the library topics below!
- Read the last 100 questions and answers
- Search the question library by typing keywords!
What to do if you have a science question:
- Step #1: Can you find the answer to your question on Windows to the Universe? Head to the home page and pick the topic that most closely relates to your question. Or, use the Windows to the Universe search tool to find pages that might answer your question.
- Step#2: Have our scientists answered the question before? Click on the library category above that most closely relates to your question and browse through the questions that have been answered.
- Step#3: If you cannot find the answer through research, then submit your question to Ask-A-Scientist! (Please note the guidelines below.)
Ask a Scientist Guidelines:
- Limit your submission to one question.
- Please note that our scientists are getting so many questions that they can't answer all of them!
- Our scientists are also often asked to do students' homework and they think this isn't very fair.
Shop Windows to the Universe Science Store!
Learn about Earth and space science, and have fun while doing it! The games
section of our online store
includes a climate change card game
and the Traveling Nitrogen game
You might also be interested in:
It depends on what kind of motion you are talking about. When seen from the north pole of the celestial sphere all planets orbit around the Sun in a counter-clockwise or direct path. Most planets also...more
Almost everyone has a question or two about living in space. What do astronauts do in space? How do they do everyday things like eat, sleep and go to the bathroom? Well, this is our attempt to answer...more
There is a really neat internet program called Solar System Live that shows the position of all of the planets and the Sun for any given day. If you go to that page, you'll see an image similar to the...more
The picture of the American Flag (the one put there by the Apollo astronauts) is waving (or straight out) in the wind. How could that be possible if there is no atmosphere on the Moon? Was it some sort...more
I was wondering if there is a new planet? Are there planets (a tenth planet?) after Pluto belonging to our solar system? What are the names of the new planets discovered in the solar system? Are there...more
If that is so, the energy released during the Big Bang must have created many such black holes. Therefore most of the Energy of the Big bang must have disappeared in that form. Then how did the Universe...more