Create Your Own Lightning
Type of Lesson: Hands-on activity
Time Needed: 15 minutes
MEGOSE EAW2 Describe weather conditions and climates.
MEGOSE EAW6 Describe patterns of changing weather and how they are measured.
MEGOSE EAW10 Explain and predict general weather patterns and storms.
Quick Summary of Lesson
This is a safe and easy way for students to make lightning. This activity would be a great intro to looking more deeply at lightning.
cotton or wool blanket
a dark room
1. Turn out all the lights and let your eyes adjust to the darkness.
2. Put the blanket behind you. Hold your fist out about six inches in front of your face.
3. With your other hand pull the blanket slowly over your head.
Make sure the blanket brushes over your hair. Don't let the blanket
touch your fist, arm, or face.
4. Keep pulling the blanket until your fist is "undercover".
5. If the conditions are right, purple sparks will jump from your fist.
Notes to the Teacher
This experiment works best on a dry, cool night.
Need More Information? Try Using Windows to the Universe
Please use these links for further ideas or more information:
Lightning and Thunder
Weather crossword puzzle
Last modified prior to September, 2000 by the Windows Team
The source of this material is Windows to the Universe, at http://windows2universe.org/ from the National Earth Science Teachers Association (NESTA). The Website was developed in part with the support of UCAR and NCAR, where it resided from 2000 - 2010. © 2010 National Earth Science Teachers Association. Windows to the Universe® is a registered trademark of NESTA. All Rights Reserved. Site policies and disclaimer.