The Rover, Barnacle Bill, and Yogi.
Click on image for full size
Results from Mars Pathfinder
These are the findings of Mars Pathfinder.
- Rounded Pebbles were found - a result from analysis of the landing site, the rocks, and the soils.
- there were a variety of rocks deposited by a catastrophic flood
- suggestive of a water cycle kind of like that of Earth
- suggests that there was more warmth & more water in Martian past history
- remaining questions include: how fast, & where was the Martian water flowing, what was the capacity of the flood?
- Better measurement of the shape of Mars
- clouds were found
- dust devils were seen
- predictable local weather
These findings help address questions
scientists have about Mars.
Shop Windows to the Universe Science Store!
Our online store
includes fun classroom activities
for you and your students. Issues of NESTA's quarterly journal, The Earth Scientist
are also full of classroom activities on different topics in Earth and space science!
You might also be interested in:
An important new result from the Mars Global Surveyor (MGS) mission is the definite confirmation of the presence of a magnetosphere around Mars. Previous missions did not make very good measurements of...more
Unlike the Earth, where clouds are found around the entire globe, on Mars, clouds seem only to be found near the equator, as shown in this Hubble telescope image. This may be because water of Mars may...more
The Mars Odyssey was launched April 7, 2001. After a six-month journey, the Odyssey arrived at Mars on October 24, 2001. The instruments onboard the Mars Odyssey will study the minerals on the surface...more
The Mars 2005 mission is still in the planning stages. It is set to launch in the year 2005. ...more
Aerobraking slowed the Mars Global Surveyor down when it reached Mars. Aerobraking also helped MGS to get into the right orbit for mapping the surface of Mars. Aerobraking means that the MGS flew through...more
Mars Global Surveyor carries an instrument which measures the heights of things. This instrument is called an altimeter, or "altitude-meter". The graph to the left shows the results returned from Mars...more
Mars Global Surveyor carries an instrument which measures the heights of things. The picture to the left shows Mars Global Surveyor's measurement of the size of the giant cliff which separates the southern...more