1. In what year was Sputnik launched?
(A) 1983 (B) 1925 (C) 1957 (D) 1940
2. Which one of these planets has never been visited by a satellite or probe?
(A) Neptune (B) Saturn (C) Uranus (D) Pluto
3. Effort and determination brought humans into space and to the Moon. What planet are humans most likely to visit?
(A) Mercury (B) Venus (C) Mars (D) Pluto
4. Formation of the solar system is in part due to the explosion of a nearby star. What is star explosion called?
(A) Nebula (B) Galaxy (C) Open Cluster (D) Supernova
5. Meteorites are thought to have formed within the solar system during the:
(A) Early phase (B) Middle phase (C) Late phase (D) Recent phase
6. How old is the solar system?
(A) 4.5 x 109 years (B) 4.6 x 109 years (C) 4.7 x 109 years (D) 4.8 x 109 years
7. How many years marks the reversal of the Sun's magnetic field?
(A) 11 (B) 10.5 (C) 22 (D) 25
8. In this century, what has been the solar cycle number?
(A) 9.5 (B) 10.5 (C) 11.5 (D) 12.5
9. What was the period from 1645 to 1715 called?
(A) Maunder minimum (B) Wolf minimum (C) Hubble minimum (D) Planck minimum
10. From 1700 to 1800, the greatest number of sunspots was just over:
(A) 10 sunspots (B) 35 sunspots (C) 100 sunspots (D) 150 sunspots
11. During which of these time periods was the solar activity the least?
(A) 1705 (B) 1815 (C) 1885 (D) 1925
12. What is the lighter-colored region around the dark center of a sunspot called?
(A) pixel (B) corona (C) penumbra (D) granicular
13. What part of the Sun is directly below the photosphere?
(A) radiation zone (B) core (C) chromosphere (D) convection zone
14. What satellite above the Sun is gathering sun data?
(A) Hubble (B) Magellan (C) Yohkoh (D) Mariner
15. What is the average salinity of the Earth's ocean?
(A) 35 ppt (B) 2 ppt (C) 125 ppt (D) 900 ppt
16. The Alvin submersible is used to explore the depths of the ocean. Just how deep are trenches in the ocean?
(A) 10 feet (B) 10 miles (C) 4 miles (D) 26 miles
17. There are volcanoes on Earth. Are there volcanoes on other bodies (planets or moons) in the solar system?
(A) Yes (B) No
18. How many layers does the Earth's atmosphere have?
(A) 2 (B) None (C) 15 (D) Five
Last modified prior to September, 2000 by the Windows Team
The source of this material is Windows to the Universe, at http://windows2universe.org/ from the National Earth Science Teachers Association (NESTA). The Website was developed in part with the support of UCAR and NCAR, where it resided from 2000 - 2010. © 2010 National Earth Science Teachers Association. Windows to the Universe® is a registered trademark of NESTA. All Rights Reserved. Site policies and disclaimer.