BVSD Earth Science Workshop
Our staff presented a workshop to teachers from Boulder Valley School District (BVSD) and St. Vrain Valley School District on October 19, 2009. The topic of the workshop was working together to support BVSD's new high school Earth science course. This page lists (and links to) resources presented by Randy Russell at the workshop.
Other resources presented at the workshop can be found here.
- Virtual Ballooning [atmosphere] worksheet
- Molecule pages, atmospheric chemistry and composition [chemistry]
- Magnetism - magnetometer, extensions, terrabagga, magnetic levitation (predicting & quantifying) [physics] - get a "feel" for shapes of magnetic fields before studying the math
- CO2 sources and sinks activity - - carbonic acid (chemistry teachers) and BTB; quantifying CO2/acid amounts - student inquiry in deciding how; ties to climate change (ocean acidification, etc.)
- Poles in Space - home, image gallery, etc.
- Very Simple Climate Model [modelling]
Shop Windows to the Universe Science Store!
Our online store
on science education, classroom activities in The Earth Scientist
specimens, and educational games
You might also be interested in:
Chemistry plays an influential role in the behavior of Earth's atmosphere. The various gases in the atmosphere are constantly mixing with and reacting with each other. Gases released by the oceans, emitted...more
Earth's atmosphere consists of about 78% nitrogen, 20% oxygen, and a mixture of small amounts of numerous other ingredients. Some of the minor constituents do, however, have big impacts. For example, greenhouse...more
Carbon dioxide is a colorless and non-flammable gas at normal temperature and pressure. Although much less abundant than nitrogen and oxygen in Earth's atmosphere, carbon dioxide is an important constituent...more
Methane is gas that is found in small quantities in Earth's atmosphere. Methane is the simplest hydrocarbon, consisting of one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms. Methane is a powerful greenhouse gas....more
There is a large class of important chemical compounds whose molecules are made up entirely of carbon and hydrogen atoms. These compounds, as a group, are called "hydrocarbons". Hydrocarbons are the critical...more
Nitric acid is a colorless, corrosive liquid and a toxic acid which can cause severe burns. Nitric acid consists of nitrogen, oxygen, and hydrogen atoms. Nitric acid, in its gas phase, is present in very...more
Sulfuric acid is a viscous, oily liquid and a strong acid which can cause severe burns. Sulfuric acid consists of sulfur, oxygen, and hydrogen atoms. Sulfuric acid is one of the components of acid rain....more