Layers of the Earth's Atmosphere
There are five layers in the atmosphere. The atmosphere thins out until it reaches space.
1) The troposphere is where weather occurs. You breathe the air in the troposphere.
2) Many airplanes fly in the stratosphere because it is very stable. Also, the ozone layer is there.
3) Many rock fragments from space burn up in the mesosphere.
4) The thermosphere is very thin. It's where the space shuttle orbits.
5) The upper limit of our atmosphere is the exosphere.
Related items in our online store:
- The Earth Scientist, Volume XXV, Issue 3, Fall 2009, "What Can High School Students Discover Experimentally about the Evolution of the Atmosphere?" by James Signorelli
- The Earth Scientist, Volume XXVI, Issue 2, Summer 2010, "River Enhanced Snow Bands on the Mississippi River", by Andy Ervin